» On Air Now
» Weather

U of M Men's Hoops Wards Off Stanford in Brooklyn

The University of Michigan men's basketball team pulled out a 68-65 victory over Stanford after leading by as many as 10 points in the Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational matchup on Saturday night (Dec. 21) at the Barclays Center.

U-M was forced to call timeout after it could not inbound the ball and then was able to pass it in to sophomore Nik Stauskas (Mississauga, Ontario/St. Mark's School [Mass.]), who was fouled with 7.8 seconds left. He hit both free throws, before Stanford's Chasson Randle missed the game-tying three before the buzzer.

Stauskas led the Wolverines with 19 points, while sophomore Glenn Robinson III (St. John, Ind./Lake Central) was right behind with 17 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Freshman Zak Irvin (Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern) chipped in with 12 points, all coming from beyond the arc.

Michigan pulled out to a 30-27 lead at halftime. After the Wolverines missed their first five field goals of the game, Robinson made a layup, and Stauskas hit a three to tie the game at five. After a triple by Irvin put U-M up 10-7 with 11:19 to go in the half, the Wolverines never lost their lead for the rest of the night.

Robinson slammed home an alley-oop pass from freshman Derrick Walton Jr. (Harper Woods, Mich./Chandler Park Academy) to put the Wolverines up 19-15 with 8:16 left in the first. Then sophomore Caris LeVert (Pickerington, Ohio/Central) made a free throw, and Stauskas threw down a dunk in transition to make the lead 22-15.

Michigan shot 10-for-25 (40 percent) in the first, including 5-for-18 (28 percent) from three. Robinson had 11 points before the break, and Irvin scored nine on 3-for-5 shooting from three.

With the Wolverines up 39-38, Irvin hit a three to start a 12-4 Michigan run, which put them up 51-42 with 11:04 remaining. Stauskas scored seven points during that 4:30 stretch, including a three-pointer and four free throws. Sophomore Spike Albrecht (Crown Point, Ind./Northfield Mount Hermon Prep [Mass.]) hit a three with 7:30 remaining to put the Wolverines ahead 56-46, their largest lead of the game.

However, Stanford cut the deficit to four points, 60-56, with 4:01 remaining in the contest and came within two at 64-62 with 43.6 seconds left. Robinson answered with a driving layup that gave Michigan a four-point lead with 14.1 seconds remaining. Randle immediately made the score 66-65 with only nine ticks left on an old-fashioned three-point play.

Michigan shot 21-for-52 (40 percent), went 8-for-27 (30 percent) from three and assisted on 16 of their 21 field goals, led by LeVert's five assists and four from Stauskas.

Stanford went 22-for-48 (46 percent) from the field, including 17-for-20 (85 percent) from the line. Randle led the Cardinal with 18 points, all coming in the second half, and he was 10-for-11 from the charity stripe. Stefan Nastic contributed 14 points on 5-for-6 shooting but fouled out with more than five minutes to play.

A   A   A