Early Monday morning officer from the Blackman-Leoni Department of Public Safety responded to a fire on East Michigan Avenue in Leoni Township. When they arrived they saw heavy flames from the front lower portion of the two story house. The sound of the fire awoke the homeowners and they were able to escape. One of the homeowners did suffer some minor burns trying to put out the fire. The family dog died in the fire. Authorities say the fire is not suspicious but it does remain under investigation. The home had smoke detectors but the batteries were dead.